Wednesday, January 26, 2011

State of the Union... and Bachman...

I don't know about you but I found the state of the union address to be heartening. People seemed to be getting along and the President made sure that people knew what he was willing to work on which is all good. But (you know you saw that coming) the way he did his speech was a little flat. I could tell at places that he expected some sort of cheering/booing to occur and there was only silence. In all I liked the message and he did have some funny parts but it wasn't up to the high caliber speeches that I'm used to from Obama.  As for the actual things that Obama said he would like to work on I think that it is good that he put healthcare out there. I don't think that we should repeal it but there are things the need to be fixed to make it better.  I must admit that I did disagree with one of the analyst that came on MSNBC ( where I watched it) who said that Obama should have talked about gun control. I totally disagree. If Obama even touched that subject he would have been chewed up and spit out.  He would have also alienated much of the blue dog democrats.  I think that as a whole our gun control policies are fine if not on the higher end of things. I think it is more of cultural shift that we need to make to become more safe instead of a policy shift. But then again, that is my opinion.

On to another speech. Bachman spoke really well and made her crowd enthused but was so very wrong on her historical facts when she gave her speech that was funded by Iowans For Tax Relief.  This is where I groaned. To ignore our history of resisting letting people into our society as equals is appalling! Come on Bachman! Read some history before you pull insane facts out of your ear! AHHH!!!! As a Minnesotan it irritates me that much more because now people are wondering what we are teaching our kids of history if our freaking Representative can't get it right! BAH!

No comments:

Post a Comment